Sunday, March 28, 2010

A great quote

Recently I heard this quote by C.S. Lewis, and I seem to having it constantly floating around in my head. I don't know why, but it really struck a cord with me. I guess it's because sometimes I feel like a cottage; a decent little cottage. One of my greatest fears as a mom is that my kids won't recognize how amazing they are. I am afraid of mean little kids. I am dreading the day my little boy comes home from school crying and doubting that he is wonderful. I want everyone I love to know that they are a palace! And that means you! Anyway, just thought I'd share this quote for anyone who hasn't read it before.

"Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first perhaps, you can understnd what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on; you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make any sense. What on earth is he up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of- throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were being made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself."
- C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

5 comments:

Bethany said...

Margo, when I saw the title of this post, I thought it would be a quote from Joshy, but this is even better! It is a really great quote. I love C.S. Lewis. Thanks for sharing it!! :)

Mary and Ryan said...

I love that quote, I think it's one my Dad loves too. He always refers to C.S. Lewis as "elder Lewis". I have yet to give a talk in church without some little quote from "elder Lewis":)

Jessie and Taylor Miller said...

oh i love this!

The Romneys said...

Wow! That is an awesome quote! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

it is such a wonderful quote. Thank you for posting it in your blog & allowing others to be able to know what HE is actually doing with our lives. God bless!